- Cook potatoes in 11/2 cups boiling water until tender. Drain (reserving 1/2 cup liquid in separate dish) and mash potatoes.
- In a large warm bowl, add yeast packets to 1/2 cup of water. Stir and let process until doubled in size and frothy.
- Add the milk, shortening, sugar and salt, reserved cooking liquid, potatoes and 1/2 of flour. Mixing thoroughly until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour gradually to form a stiff dough.
- Remove and knead on floured counter or surface until thoroughly elastic for about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a bowl, cover and let rise in warm area for at least 50-60 minutes.
- When doubled in bulk, punch the dough down and divide into 2 parts and shape into loaves.
- Place into two greased 9 x 5" loaf pans. Cover and let rise again until doubled in size; about 30 minutes.
- Bake in pre-heated moderate oven at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until bread shrinks from sides of pan and golden brown. Remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool.
Makes 2 - 1 lb loaves