The Marketing of Agricultural Products Act of Alberta regulates the operations of the PGA. The Act outlines that a farming organization or an individual is required to be licensed annually with the PGA in order to sell their potatoes, if they fit into the following categories:
- Grow five acres or more of potatoes in Alberta.
- Produces Plantlets or nuclear seed.
- Are engaged in buying or selling of potatoes in the Province.
Types of Membership
Types of membership (or licenses) include the following:
- Producer – a producer of process, table fresh, or certified seed potatoes.
- Greenhouse/Laboratory – operate a greenhouse with annual sales of $10,000 or more.
- Packer/Dealer – engaged in marketing potatoes purchased or received from a licensed grower.
- Processor – change the nature or form of potatoes by any means from their raw or natural state.
- Industry Associate – Membership partners with the Alberta Potato Industry Association (APIA).
Even if your situation does not require you to have a license under the Marketing of Agricultural Product Act of Alberta, we encourage you to examine the benefits of membership.
To become a new member, please call the PGA at 403-223-2262 or email pga at albertapotatoes.ca.